2022 SURF Application
Check out specific information on how to apply below.
- Sophomores or juniors majoring in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or related field (cannot have graduated before the fellowship).
- GPA of 3.2 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Students should have a strong desire to pursue an advanced degree (PhD or PharmD/PhD) and must be available for the full 10 weeks of the program.
- The program is open to all US Citizens and Permanent Residents. Undergraduate students from groups underrepresented in health-related sciences, i.e. individuals from ethnic or racial groups (African American, Hispanic American, Native American, Alaskan and Hawaiian Natives); individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, and individuals with physical or mental disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Application form
Answer all questions on the form. Be sure to specify the areas of research you are interested in. You may provide further explanation in your personal statement. If you have any questions when filling your application, contact email@example.com
- Choosing a mentor
Review research profiles of mentors. Select the top 3 mentors you would like to most work with over the summer. If you are selected for our program, all effort will be made to match you with one of the mentors you selected.
- Personal statement
Include a statement of purpose (~1 page) that describes your career goals and plans for study beyond undergraduate degree (e.g. scientific-based graduate studies, medical school, pharmacy school, multiple degrees etc.). Explain how research and this program will help you achieve your goals.
Include your undergraduate level transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. The transcript(s) must be provided from any and all institutions of higher learning that you have attended since graduating high school.
- 2 letters of recommendation
Request two letters of recommendation from academic sources. The letters of recommendation should be written by current and/or former professors/instructors or advisors, and should convey your interest in the sciences and research. The letters must be written on official college/university letterhead and contain a signature. Ask that the letters of recommendation are submitted directly to our program by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org as pdf files by the deadline
- Submit completed application form, including uploading the personal statement and transcripts, by January 24, 2022.
- Request that your letters of references are e-mailed to email@example.com by January 24, 2022.